Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Animal Update

Diantha brought it to my attention that I never finished our story about the dogs. Well, first I should explain why dogs is plural now. Around the same time we got the other puppy from Albian (actually it was a little bit before we knew about that puppy) a friend of ours called and told us her friend had 10 puppies to find homes for. We made the terrible mistake of going to see them when they were 2 weeks old and since they were so tiny and cute we told them we would take two. They told us we would get these puppies the first part of March (we saw them the end of January.) Anyway, a few days later Cody found the puppy in Albian and decided we had to have her. So we thought we would just take one of the other puppies, but when it came down to it we didn't have the heart. So we ended up with 3 puppies. We are so weak!!!!! And to add to it the mother of the 10 puppies dried up and wasn't able to feed them so we ended up getting the puppies on Valentine's Day when they were only 5 weeks old. They were too tiny and the weather was still terribly cold so I had to go against everything in me and keep them in the house. I kept them in a big rubbermaid tote in the kitchen and they weren't allowed to leave the kitchen area. Well, I only lasted 10 days and I couldn't take cleaning up poop and pee any more so they were moved out to the barn. We put them in the kennel with straw and there was a heat lamp so they survived. They were more likely to survive out in the winter cold than in my kitchen because they just about lost their lives every time they would poop on my kitchen floor. Anyway, I learned to like them once they were staying in the barn.
So back to our dilemma about the dog names. After a lot of conversation and, yes, some fighting between the kids we decided not to use any of the names we put on the blog to vote on. The kids decided to give each of them Star Wars names. The big puppy from Albian is Asoka (and by the way I don't know how to spell any of these names.) The little black lab is Padme. And the black and white spotted one is Sateen. Can't tell us we weren't creative.
Here's Rylan watching the puppies have breakfast.

Our second animal update is about our bunny, Joe. We had Joe for almost 6 years and he died the first part of March. And of course he died on my shift. Luckily Diantha was with me when I found him so she was the one that had the guts to pick him up and haul him out of the barn. The whole stiff, dead thing is still a little too much for me. I think I would have thrown up. So, thanks Diantha! Anyway, long story short, we told the kids that we couldn't bury him because the ground was still frozen so we decided that he could go out like a Jedi. So here's a picture of Cody and the kids at Joe's funeral. And, yes, I did wait until Cody was there to help in this part!



1 comment:

Jami said...

I can't believe you burned your dead pet! That's hilarious! Love the updates, though! Keep em coming!